Registered in Victoria on Aug 30, 1899, as Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company of Australasia Ltd to purchase the Australasian rights from the English company Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd (formed in 1889). The first Australian factory was formed in Melbourne in 1893. In 1905 the name was changed to Dunlop Rubber Company of Australasia Ltd. The merger with Perdriau Rubber Company of Sydney formed Dunlop Perdriau Rubber Co Ltd in 1929. The same year Dunlop Perdriau purchased a controlling interest in Barnet Glass Rubber Co. Ltd. In 1941 the company name was changed to Dunlop Rubber Australia Ltd and Barnet Glass Rubber Co Ltd was fully absorbed. Following a number of company acquisitions, in 1967 the company was re-named as Dunlop Australia Ltd. Further numerous acquisitions and merges that diversified the company’s activities took place until recently. A merger that was completed with Olympic Consolidated Industries Ltd in 1980 formed Dunlop Olympic Ltd. The present name of Pacific Dunlop Ltd was adopted in January 1986.